The Cape Teaching and Leadership Institute (CTLI) is responsible for the in-service training of teachers, school leaders and curriculum officials of the Western Cape Education Department (WCED). The CTLI is dedicated to the continuous development and support of teachers to address gaps in their content knowledge and improve pedagogical practices. It also aims to address school management capacity deficiencies.
The WCED teachers who participate in CTLI interventions gain enhanced capacity to deliver learning programmes with renewed confidence. In addition, they are more capable of accepting the challenges and opportunities for occupational development and progress that are related to life-long learning and 21st century readiness. Furthermore, they are able to give reality to the vision of the WCED of quality education for every child, in every classroom, in every school in the province.
The CTLI has five business units that provide services to the teachers and officials.
- Corporate Services ensure that our state-of-the-art facility is well maintained and taken care of.
- The Programme Delivery Unit provides curriculum related training interventions for teachers.
- Teachers Qualifications Improvement (TQI) is responsible for the improvement of teachers’ qualification, senior management training, managing the Continuous Professional Teacher Development (CPTD) system for the province and coordinating the annual Teacher Appreciation and National Teaching Awards (NTA).
- Education Library and Information Service (EDULIS) provides a library and information services to teachers and officials.
- The Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Integration Unit delivers ICT integration interventions as well as maintaining and supporting the CTLI’s Information Technology infrastructure.
Since its inception in 2002, the CTLI has been delivering teacher professional development of outstanding quality. The CTLI will continue on this path and innovate its systems and practices to be one of the best of its kind in the world.