This course will focus on the teaching and learning of Mathematics to develop the teacher’s critical awareness of how mathematical relationships are used in social, environmental, cultural and economic relations. Teachers' understanding and application of skills and concepts will be enhanced so that they are in a better position to teach the subject more effectively and become confident and competent to teach Mathematics. The course capacitates teachers to facilitate the learning of the subject in a manner that enables learners to achieve content outcomes and skills. It will also develop a deep conceptual understanding of mathematics and encourage the correct use of mathematical language.
During training teachers will engage with key terminologies and concepts in the following content areas: Numbers, Operations and Relationships and Patterns, Functions and Algebra. The content areas will be covering the following topics:
Numbers, Operations and Relationships
Number concept development
- Numbernames & symbols
- Describe, compare and ordering numbers
- Place value
- Addition and subtraction
- Problem solving
- Grouping and sharing leading to division
- Repeated addition
- Sharing leading to fractions
- Mental Mathematics
Patterns, Functions and Algebra
- Number patterns
- Geometric patterns
- Natural and cultural patterns
- Problem solving
Integration of Information and Communication Technology
Use of technology in the teaching of Numbers, Operations and Relationships and Patterns, Functions and Algebra.
The Mathematics course will explore the effective use of information and communication technology to enhance teaching and learning. Therefore, teachers who apply for this course must ensure that they have a Gmail account in order to participate in the following eLearning activities:
- Collaborative learning using smart phones and tablets.
- Viewing YouTube videos and answering questions on mathematical topics.
- Completing Google forms.
- Collaborative learning using shared Google docs.
- Joining a learning management system created for Mathematics (Google classroom).
- Learning by following instructions on screencast recordings.
- Preparing shared group presentations using Google slides.
- Exploring mathematical games for purposeful learning.
- Completing online quizzes and assessments.
- Sharing and posting questions and ideas.
- Tracking tasks and events on Google calendar.