Foundation Phase Addressing Barriers to Learning Languages.
THE MODE OF DELIVERY FOR THIS COURSE WILL BE AFRIKAANS & ENGLISH.
THIS COURSE IS A FOLLOW UP ON CONTENT COURSE, ONLY TEACHERS WHO COMPLETED THE LANGUAGE CONTENT COURSE QUALIFY TO APPLY, WITH EXCEPTION OF LEARNING SUPPORT TEACHERS AND SPECIAL SCHOOLS.
What are barriers to learning?
Barriers to learning and development often refer to the challenges faced by learners during the learning process as a result of a broad range of experiences in the classroom, at school, at home, in the community and/or due to health conditions or a disability. These factors may lead to the inability of the system to accommodate diversity and cause learning and development to collapse or it can prevent learners’ access to education (Dept. of Education, 1997:12; 2014:13).
These barriers to learning manifest in different ways and only become obvious when learning breakdown occurs or when learners “drop out” of the system.
All barriers to learning and development should be addressed in our classrooms and schools as outlined in Education White Paper 6: Special Needs Education of July 2001.
Therefore, this course covers the wide range of topics under each basic language skill. Below are the modules that will be covered in the course:
- Understanding and overcoming barriers to learning and teaching Language: The aim of this module is to create awareness about factors that create barriers to teaching and learning. The participants are exposed to different explanations of learning difficulties and explore learning support strategies.
- Understanding and addressing reasoning and thinking difficulties: The purpose of this module is to create an awareness of how participants can become mediators to enhance learning, thinking and reasoning processes. It also describes strategies to overcome barriers to thinking and reasoning.
- Overcoming barriers to listening and speaking: The aim of this module is to show the importance of listening and speaking skills in the classroom and to explore ways in which barriers to listening and speaking can be addressed.
- Overcoming barriers to reading and phonics: Participants are exposed to identifying barriers to reading and spelling acquisition and the effect of reading difficulties on underachievers in school. This module stresses the importance of reading with accuracy and to gain meaning from the text.
- Overcoming barriers to writing and handwriting: The aim of this module is to explore handwriting and expressive writing difficulties that Foundation Phase learners experience and how to address these barriers. The developmental stages and the acquisition of skills are explained in each module. How to identify the barriers and how to develop support strategies are also covered.